Main Line Fertility and Reproductive Medicine, LTD is a reproductive endocrinology and infertility practice that also offers full andrology services. A semen analysis appointment can be scheduled at the Main Line Fertility Center in Bryn Mawr (484-380-4863) or at Paoli Pointe (610-993-8200) near the Paoli Hospital.
Much can be learned about a man’s fertility through examining his semen under a microscope. Both the quantity and quality of his sperm may be assessed.
The laboratory report includes the following information about the semen specimen:
- Volume in milliliters (ml)
- Concentration in millions of sperm per ml
- Motility = % of sperm that are moving
- Morphology = % of sperm that are normally shaped
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SEMEN ANALYSIS APPOINTMENT:
- Physician signs an order
- Patient calls andrology lab to schedule an appointment
- Patient should ejaculate 3 days before appointment, then abstain from sexual activity until appointment
- Wash/dry hands before semen collection
- Label container with name and date of birth
- It is best if the semen sample is collected at the center. However, semen can be collected at home if:
– Sample collected by masturbation into sterile specimen container (available at a pharmacy)
– No saliva, condom or lubrication
– Maintain specimen at body temperature
– Specimen must be delivered to lab within one hour of collection
- Some insurance companies require a referral (patient’s responsibility) prior to an appointment. Payment is required at the time of appointment and before analysis will be performed.
- Allow 24 hours for report to be faxed to your doctor
- Call your referring doctor for results and interpretation