Over the past two weeks our area has experienced extreme weather that has caused widespread power outages. Additionally, the devastating news was released that two clinics in the United States experienced cryotank failures potentially leading to embryo and gamete loss.
Our hearts go out to the patients and staff at these involved clinics. These are very difficult times and understandably there is angst throughout the infertility community, patients and professionals alike.
We want to ensure our patients that every possible measure is taken at our state-of-the-art facility to ensure their embryos, eggs and sperm are safe.
Regarding power outages – our incubators are connected to a backup generator system to prevent any loss of power. During the most recent storm our lab was indeed powered through our generator as this electrical grid lost power for approximately 72 hours.
Precautions to ensure the safety of your cryopreserved embryos, oocytes and sperm include:
- Experienced, dedicated and well-trained embryologists and andrologists that closely monitor the cryostorage and safety of eggs, sperm and embryos.
- We utilize cryotanks that are not maintained by electricity and would not be affected by power outages.
- Cryotanks are inspected on a daily basis by our embryologists as part of routine quality control
- Cryotanks are manually filled on a weekly basis, not auto filled as occurs at some centers.
- Every Cryotank is equipped with two different alarm systems measuring temperatures within the tank – at different levels which would immediately alert embryologists if there was a temperature change. Similarly, each room has equivalent alarms.
- Cryotanks are kept in a restricted area in the lab that can only be accessed by authorized personnel.
- Backup cryotank kept onsite in case of emergency
- Our tanks are replaced every 5 years (10 years is industry standard)
- Each tank is inspected and quality checked on a daily basis – 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Thank you for entrusting Main Line Fertility with the enormous responsibility of growing your family. Our patients and their specimen’s safety is our highest priority.
The Physicians and Care Team of Main Line Fertility